This conference has been approved for 5.0 CE credits by FP Canada.
This conference has been approved for 4.5 CE credits by The Institute for Advanced Financial Education.
Registration and virtual orientation
Opening remarks from Edward Jones
President, Edward Jones Canada
Keynote: Growing for gold
In this session, hear from two-time Olympic gold medallist Cheryl Pounder as she shares insights into the work she invested to reach her goal – which wouldn’t have been possible without her teammates. This is collaborative leadership at its finest.
2x Olympic Gold Medalist, Ice Hockey
Finding your purpose
Brought to you by:
When it comes to furthering the position of women in the financial services industry, do you have a purpose? The session will explore:
- How individually we can further the position of women in the industry based on our unique personality traits. For example, those with leadership qualities might consider mentorship, while critical thinkers might consider educating themselves and others about how they can lend their support.
- Understanding how you can contribute at different levels of an organization. The panel will explore how organizational purpose can come to life through policy changes. For example, how the pandemic has impacted working mothers.
- Understanding how we can make an impact in our communities. This includes speaking with women at business schools, networking with women newer to the industry, and learning to support and empower female clients.
Managing Editor, Wealth Professional
Financial Advisor, Edward Jones
Principal, Canada Operations, Edward Jones
Director, Client Strategies Group, Edward Jones
Financial Advisor, Edward Jones
Panel: Choosing resilience
Resilience is a buzzword in our culture right now, but especially as we enter a post-COVID business environment, it's proving to be an important trait for individuals looking to excel. This session will feature influential leaders as they share moments that required resilience, and the skills they leaned upon to succeed in the wealth industry.
- What is resilience, and how can you develop your own level of resilience?
- Essential practices for resilience training
- Self-awareness, mental agility, optimism, grit, and other traits to focus on
- Tips for how to cope with stress and use it to perform better
- Overcoming self-limiting beliefs
Founder & CEO, MediaFace
Securities Specialist, Canada Life
President & CEO, Investor Economics
President & CEO, Toronto Finance International
Financial Advisor and Associate Portfolio Manager, Raymond James Ltd.
Networking & lunch break
Strategies for a hybrid workforce: How leaders can make a difference in mental health
With an increase in reported mental health issues among employees during the COVID-19 crisis, companies are now shifting their priorities toward employee wellbeing. What behaviors can leaders incorporate to create a safer, more supportive workplace culture, particularly in a hybrid or even fully remote workspace? How can the wealth industry move the conversation on mental health from discussion to action so that it becomes the 'norm' as we move past the pandemic? This session focuses on best practices for creating a positive work environment that truly supports you and your team.
- Top down: Establishing a culture of support through empathetic leadership
- Mindfulness, ERG groups, and other tools to help find balance
- Insights to help you improve communication, have more effective team meetings, and monitor employee wellbeing
- Maintaining mental health while building your business
- Early signs of burnout, and practical tips on how to better manage stress levels and extended work hours
President, Leader in Motion Inc.
Panel: Women in wealth: Finding your leadership style and niche as you rise in your career
As female wealth professionals progress in their businesses and careers, most will assume a leadership role at some point, whether they're working with colleagues, in their local communities, or as a mentor to others in the industry. Identifying and understanding your leadership style is a critical step toward developing future leadership skills and competencies. Why is it important to understand your leadership style, and how can you best identify it? How can you refine your leadership style as you progress in your career? How do gender and cultural differences influence your leadership style and decisions?
- Examining leadership styles and assessing your strengths and weaknesses
- Developing and leveraging leadership learning opportunities to find your niche: mentorships, training and special projects
- The different meanings of leadership as your career advances
- Navigating stereotypes and cultural norms regarding what a leader 'should be'
- Managing a practice while planning to have a family
- Parental leave: The pressure to return to work, and the fear of losing clients
Head of Partnerships & Business Development, Worldsource Wealth Management
Investment Manager, Trillium Asset Management
Strategic Advisor, Women's Segment, BMO Private Wealth
Investment Advisor, Wellington-Altus Private Wealth
Past Chair and Chief Executive Officer, Ontario Securities Commission (OSC)
Networking and afternoon break
Fireside chat: How to harness and build a diverse, equitable and inclusive leadership talent pipeline
Developing a more inclusive and representative future roster of leaders requires a long-term commitment to building and sustaining diversity, equity and inclusion and achieving set goals and objectives. This session will break down the steps and practical considerations for building a robust leadership campaign – from advanced recruitment to having the proper training, workplace protocols and management buy-in in place. How do you identify early candidates for leadership, and what should your retention strategy include? What role does an organization’s culture and values play in achieving DEI leadership success?
- Assessing your current position and identifying goals and objectives
- New talent: Recruiting more women into the financial space
- Advisor 'super teams' as a way forward for the industry’s young talent
- A look at what your retention strategy can include: pay gaps, leadership pathways, mentorships and workplace policies
- How can diversity leaders and committees contribute to enhancing workplace retention?
- Practical examples of initiatives to improve leadership diversity and inclusion
Head of Sales, Canada, Central and West USA, Refinitiv
Senior-Vice President, Head of Sustainability, Mackenzie Investments
Chief Operating Officer, Q Wealth Partners
Head of Marketing, Sun Life Global Investment
Associate Branch Director and Investment Advisor, RBC Dominion Securities
Panel: Innovation: Evolving as Wealth Professionals
Especially after a shocking year, innovation in the workplace remains necessary to stay relevant and competitive amid rapidly changing markets. How can advisors create a culture of innovation and skilfully lead? What technological changes will leaders and companies likely need to embrace to be successful moving forward? Hear from key leaders as they share how the wealth industry is progressing in 2022 and beyond.
- How has innovation played a role in your company and influenced your leadership principles?
- Finding client success without face-to-face interaction
- What we can expect to see in the wealth sector over the next three years
- Innovation tools that can help grow your business
Partner, Associate Portfolio Manager and Portfolio Strategist, Treegrove Investment Management Inc.
Head of Investments & Senior Portfolio Manager, Caldwell Investment Management Ltd
President, CEO & Founder, Emerge Canada Inc.
Chief Marketing & Innovation Officer, AGF Investments Inc.
Portfolio Manager, 3Macs
Self-Leadership: Creating Confidence in the Face of Fear
Studies show that women tend to hold back on pursuing growth opportunities when we don’t feel 100% confident and ready. We can get caught up with worries of “Do I really have what it takes? What if it doesn’t work out and I let folks down? What will other people think… especially if I fail?” Self-leadership is knowing ourselves at a deeper level, so that we can face our fears, move forward despite uncertainty and lead by example to those around us.
- The truth about confidence and the role it plays in our success
- 5 ways we over-compensate for our feelings of self-doubt
- Simple Self-leadership tools to combat worry, doubt & fear
Founder, International Association of Online Business Managers